FEMA – Emergency Management Institute (EMI)
The Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Public Information Officer (PIO) training program is designed to provide PIOs with the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities to support proper decision-making by delivering the right message, to the right people, at the right time.
Public information is a vital function in disaster operations that contributes greatly to saving lives and protecting property. Public information entails the processes and systems that enable effective communications with various target audiences. The EMI training program provides PIOs with the opportunity to learn and practice the tasks of gathering, verifying, coordinating, and disseminating public information at all levels of government.
The training courses listed below include those delivered at the state, local, tribal, and territorial level as well as higher-level training managed by EMI’s subject matter expert training teams. Click on a program for additional information.
- IS-29 – Public Information Officer Awareness
- IS-42 – Social Media in Emergency Management
- E/L0105 – Public Information Basics
EMI managed courses:
- E/L0388 – Advanced Public Information Officer
- Master Public Information Officer Program
- E/K0389 – Master Public Information Officer – Implementing Communications Strategies for Whole Community Leadership
- E/K0393 – Master Public Information Officer – Applying Advanced Concepts in Public Information and Communications
- E0394 – Master Public Information Officer – Mastering Public Advocacy Plans to Create an Effective Community of Stakeholders